Divorce Lawyer in Metairie, LA
A divorce is probably one of the most difficult times of your life, and certainly not one you ever thought you would be experiencing. Divorce might feel like the end of your life, but it doesn’t have to be if you handle it the right way. In order to do this, it’s necessary to find a good divorce attorney and ask a few questions before moving forward with your case. These include:
- When can I start dating?
- What can I do to protect myself?
- How long have you been practicing family law?
- How long will it take to resolve my case?
- How long do you take to return phone calls?
- How do I get a hold of you if there is an emergency? Also, what do you consider to be an emergency?
- Are there tasks that I can do myself to cut down on the amount you will charge me?
- Based on what you know about my case, how would you predict a Louisiana judge would rule on it?
- What’s your estimate of the total cost of this divorce?
- Can I move out of state?
Be aware when asking, however, that most divorce attorneys will resist answering exactly how much your specific divorce will cost. The cost of the divorce depends greatly upon the level of conflict throughout the proceedings, which can sometimes be surprising. More important than the exact answer is the way an attorney answers this question, and all of the others. It goes a long way in helping you decide how trustworthy they are. An attorney that gives you an unrealistically low amount may just be trying to get your business, only to fail to deliver later on in court when it truly matters.
For those in the Metairie, Louisiana area, these questions can and will be best answered by the family attorneys at Ellen Cronin Badeaux LLC. We have been practicing family law and domestic law in the Metairie, Louisiana area for 24 years. Contact us at (985) 892-1955 and talk with our divorce attorneys today.